Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Welcome to the Canada electronic cigarette ecig e-cig e-liquid ejuice.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Vancity Vapor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protank 2 coil question

Lately I find that Ive been burning 2.5ohm coils in 1-2 days with my evic and I dont know what this is. Ive recently been using MLV DSV RY4 which is pretty dark is this the reason why??

Ive only been aroung 3.4-3.6v eveytime I go high in voltage it burns in no time. I tried screwing in as far as it goes to have a tighter draw to a loose draw. Not sure if i should buy a new base cause it seems the threads are wearing off or insanely dirty not sure.

Could it be the juice? I did try a 1.8 ohm 3.7-4v lasted me 2-4 days but still WTF!?!?

It lasted way longer on my Smok dct carto 1.5ohm but the taste was off

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now when you saying burning coils in 1 to 2 days, do you mean they are dying after that amount of time or are they just underperforming?
    When they say "I have given it up. Why can't you?" What they really mean is, "I am no longer enjoying it - why should you?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *carefully watching with some coil questions of my own*

Enthusiast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might just be clogging the wick and coil with dark juice. If you find that the vapor production is lacking. Switch to a new coil and soak the old coil in a 90/10 split of vodka and water.

Vodka is best as its an odorless solution

After do a dry out and a pulse fire to evap any moisture on the wick and coil

You might find it last a little longer than a couple days

5. Likes tase83 liked this post
    Tutor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vangruver View Post
    You might just be clogging the wick and coil with dark juice.
    ^This

Darker the juice (caramel, butterscotch flavours especially), the quicker you will gum up and char your coils. Bottom coil clearomizers just add to the frustration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might just be clogging the wick and coil with dark juice. If you find that the vapor production is lacking. Switch to a new coil and soak the old coil in a 90/10 split of vodka and water.

Why the 10% water? Logic would dictate that a higher alcohol content would be better at breaking down any carbon and/or oil deposits on the coils and/or in the wicking material. While absolutely not certain, basic chemistry teaches you that.

I also like to use an ultrasonic cleaner ($40 at Best Buy) that uses cavitation to loosen any deposits on the wick. I put the coils in alcohol, inside of a small pill bottle, place the pill bottle in 'tap hot' water in the ultrasonic cleaner. A few short minutes later and a quick 'shake', lay the coils out on a paper towel to dry. So far it has worked pretty good unless a coil is either dead or near dead.

Just sayin...

Enthusiast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolffy View Post
    Why the 10% water? Logic would dictate that a higher alcohol content would be better at breaking down any carbon and/or oil deposits on the coils and/or in the wicking material. While absolutely not certain, basic chemistry teaches you that.

I also like to use an ultrasonic cleaner ($40 at Best Buy) that uses cavitation to loosen any deposits on the wick. I put the coils in alcohol, inside of a small pill bottle, place the pill bottle in 'tap hot' water in the ultrasonic cleaner. A few short minutes later and a quick 'shake', lay the coils out on a paper towel to dry. So far it has worked pretty good unless a coil is either dead or near dead.

Just sayin...
    You're probably right. It was a pure suggestion to me to use a 9/1 ratio. Hasn't hampered me so far.

Haven't yet tried an ultra sonic cleaner yet. That's next on the wish list

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dead_aim77 View Post
    Lately I find that Ive been burning 2.5ohm coils in 1-2 days with my evic and I dont know what this is. Ive recently been using MLV DSV RY4 which is pretty dark is this the reason why??

Ive only been aroung 3.4-3.6v eveytime I go high in voltage it burns in no time. I tried screwing in as far as it goes to have a tighter draw to a loose draw. Not sure if i should buy a new base cause it seems the threads are wearing off or insanely dirty not sure.

Could it be the juice? I did try a 1.8 ohm 3.7-4v lasted me 2-4 days but still WTF!?!?

It lasted way longer on my Smok dct carto 1.5ohm but the taste was off
    A lot is happening here
    • it is a dark juice
    • it is a sweet juice
    • it is 50/50 doesn't wick as well

Those are all contributors to early atomizer demise.

A 2.5Ohm atomizer should be vaped between 4.5-5V which is the speed setting for that resistance. You are vaping it too cool at 3.3-3.6V

You have come to pretty much the same conclusion with your own experiments.

High resistance wire is thinner than LR wire, because you are vaping them at low voltage you are stressing the coated coil (by the juice (caused by the high sugar content)) and the juice is not vaporizing as readily as it should, pop goes the weasel. Simply put you are red lining the engine.

I like Cory's RY4 as a treat but yes it is an atty killer ( I drip it), in clearomizers with somewhat restricted flow = deadly. Get yourself a more homogeneous liquid e.g no greater than 70/30.

This was written some time ago but is still valid IMHO. http://www.wackedoutecig.ca/threads/...ith-VG-liquids

The other factor is equipment quality. Over the 4 yrs I have been at this I have seen a drop in quality even from the reputable mfrs. Why? They are disposable items and made it so

Outside of DIY there is no easy solution. As DSV products are made to order (at least from MLV) you can request a 70/30 ratio, it will help, but will also change the flavour. I do not know of any company tailor making liquids to "ones" specs e.g all VG cut by 20% with distilled H2O.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chart.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	4047

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

I was facing many of the same issues with the Kanger heads until the good folks at my first Ottawa vape meet showed me how to rebuild a micro coil using 28GA or 30GA Kanthal and cotton wicking. I've had not a single issue since and my God do the juices ever taste good, and the volume of vapour is so much i have to rewind what i'm watching on TV to see what i just missed. If you have someone that can show you, or just have a look on You Tune for some videos. I managed to nail it on my 3rd try and have re-coiled 5 heads now, all perform like a damn champ

Right now I have a rebuilt Kanger head in my Davide tank , micro coil 28GA @ 1.2 Ohms. I run it at 3.5 volts and it performs like a beast

Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katmandu View Post
    Now when you saying burning coils in 1 to 2 days, do you mean they are dying after that amount of time or are they just underperforming?
    I guess both..I tried an airy draw and a tight one still the same result.

I tried this once. It tasted like burnt sh*t. Dont know why as the wick was fine

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    A lot is happening here
    • it is a dark juice
    • it is a sweet juice
    • it is 50/50 doesn't wick as well

Those are all contributors to early atomizer demise.

A 2.5Ohm atomizer should be vaped between 4.5-5V which is the speed setting for that resistance. You are vaping it too cool at 3.3-3.6V

You have come to pretty much the same conclusion with your own experiments.

High resistance wire is thinner than LR wire, because you are vaping them at low voltage you are stressing the coated coil (by the juice (caused by the high sugar content)) and the juice is not vaporizing as readily as it should, pop goes the weasel. Simply put you are red lining the engine.

I like Cory's RY4 as a treat but yes it is an atty killer ( I drip it), in clearomizers with somewhat restricted flow = deadly. Get yourself a more homogeneous liquid e.g no greater than 70/30.

This was written some time ago but is still valid IMHO. http://www.wackedoutecig.ca/threads/...ith-VG-liquids

The other factor is equipment quality. Over the 4 yrs I have been at this I have seen a drop in quality even from the reputable mfrs. Why? They are disposable items and made it so

Outside of DIY there is no easy solution. As DSV products are made to order (at least from MLV) you can request a 70/30 ratio, it will help, but will also change the flavour. I do not know of any company tailor making liquids to "ones" specs e.g all VG cut by 20% with distilled H2O.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chart.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	4047
    A lot is happening here

it is a dark juice - Yes
    it is a sweet juice - Somewhat YES
    it is 50/50 doesn't wick as well - Did not know that

"A 2.5Ohm atomizer should be vaped between 4.5-5V which is the speed setting for that resistance. You are vaping it too cool at 3.3-3.6V"

Everytime I go above 4v it gets a nasty burnt taste and coil is done. I know from the chart I should go higher but its gets burnt from the first hit.

RY4 is the only ejuice I started with and enjoy for now. This is the first ry4 thats been giving me this headache though.

Is building my own coil the only choice??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast