PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on an atomizer/tank rebuildable mod...

johnspack
09-29-2014, 12:29 PM
Don't have a great budget. Have a Vamo V5 coming, but only a single 18650 battery for now so limited to 6v. I want a good rebuildable atty+tank like a kayfun, but with dual coils.
Will try 2 18350 batteries in it at some point for 8v+... Any ideas?

randomname
09-29-2014, 12:42 PM
*sigh* i refuse to help anyone who thinks stacking batteries is a good idea.

BX fan
09-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Sorry man but if you got a V5 coming you're still limited to 6 volts no matter what battery you put in - it's a regulated device.

18Wheels
09-29-2014, 01:27 PM
A Fogger V4 will run dual coils and can be used on your Vamo.

18Wheels
09-29-2014, 01:36 PM
*sigh* i refuse to help anyone who thinks stacking batteries is a good idea.
I think the Vamo as well as the Svd are 2 regulated mods that can take 2 18350's they were designed for it.

randomname
09-29-2014, 02:13 PM
There's no designing a mod for it. There's no way for a device like the vamo to safely monitor stacked batteries. The only way to minimize the risk is to buy the batteries new and only run them paired together, hopefully one doesn't fail before the other. I get that most of the time its perfectly safe, but your increasing your chances of thermal runaway exponentially by stacking. At the end of the day it doesn't do much for you when using a vamo

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

18Wheels
09-29-2014, 02:20 PM
There's no designing a mod for it. There's no way for a device like the vamo to safely monitor stacked batteries. The only way to minimize the risk is to buy the batteries new and only run them paired together, hopefully one doesn't fail before the other. I get that most of the time its perfectly safe, but your increasing your chances of thermal runaway exponentially by stacking. At the end of the day it doesn't do much for you when using a vamo

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

On the svd its in the instructions(bottom)http://123liquids.de/down/iTaste_SVD_Manual.pdf

And yes it doesn't do much, but your able to do it.

randomname
09-29-2014, 04:58 PM
so what happens when 1 of the two cells fail? Or when one is working normally and one is having trouble holding a charge?

18Wheels
09-29-2014, 07:42 PM
so what happens when 1 of the two cells fail? Or when one is working normally and one is having trouble holding a charge?
Sorry, left ya hanging, had to run. Not doubting that its not a good idea, I'm simply stating that those 2 particular mods manufactures
state in their instructions that you can use 2 18350's in them. I have a svd, regardless whether you put 1 18650 or 2 18350's in it it will not output more than 6v. Besides, the one I had the button failed inside of a month. Didn't find the need or get the chance to use a pair of 350's.:)

johnspack
09-29-2014, 08:40 PM
Ignore the stacking stuff, I've got one 18650 panasonic ncr18650a if you want details. That's what I'll be using in it for the forseeable future. The Vamo has built-in protected circuitry, so it will be fine. Now please back to the rebuildable atty?

18Wheels
09-29-2014, 11:58 PM
Here's a couple of my favorites:

Taste Your Juice | THE TAIFUN GT RBA (http://www.tasteyourjuice.com/wordpress/2013/05/24/the-taifun-rba/)

Taste Your Juice | THE FOGGER V4.1 RTA & NEW CONTEST! (http://www.tasteyourjuice.com/wordpress/2014/08/29/the-fogger-v4-1-rta/) (this one is good for duals.)

And if you combine a Kayfun with a Taifun you get:Taste Your Juice | THE EXPROMIZER! (http://www.tasteyourjuice.com/wordpress/2014/07/07/the-expromizer/)

These should work well, within the range of your Vamo.:)

randomname
09-30-2014, 03:06 AM
Ignore the stacking stuff, I've got one 18650 panasonic ncr18650a if you want details. That's what I'll be using in it for the forseeable future. The Vamo has built-in protected circuitry, so it will be fine. Now please back to the rebuildable atty?

I get that this is highjacking this thread but the built in protected circuitry isn't going to do shit if you have a single cell fail. why? because it still sees a 3.7 volt working battery. What it doesn't see is the dead short in the other battery. Or lets say one cell starts to fade. You see 6V on the display, no big deal, each battery is down to 3v charge left right? Or maybe ones at 3.8v and ones at 2.2v. Say your drawing 4 amps through that circuit. the 3.8v battery really doesn't care but the 2.2v one is getting hot because you just made it work for 36 straight hours with no food or sleep lol, as in hot enough to vent. The protection circuit thinks everything is A ok. 4 amps, 6 volts, no shorts, business as usual. You see where i'm going with this right? That's just one example of what could go wrong. reverse charging, one cell going to ground, there's a bit of a list of potential pitfalls.

Stacking batteries can be made relatively safe if done the correct way. Why i've been posting what i have been posting is because from the comments in this thread i don't see anyone that's actually done the research on how to do so.

as for the atty if your looking for something cheap the fogger is your best bet for a kayfunish rebuildable atomizer. I always suggest for people just starting rebuilding that they get a dripper. Let's be honest, every one of us royally f#cked up the first coil or two we built, more so with duals. It's easier to get the build down on something that you can just pop off the cap and start again rather than something you have to strip down each time. If your not new to rebuilding then go for the fogger.

bcameron
09-30-2014, 05:34 AM
Fogger, Orchid, UD-T7, Aqua

johnspack
09-30-2014, 10:51 PM
I'm just going to use a single 18650 for now, in the Vamo, very safe. But you have to count on a single protection circuit, so 2 batteries, while nice, isn't really safe. I have a computer engineering degree, so have a bit of understanding about electronics. Supposedly, 2 imr 18350s could be reliable, but I'm not going to chance it. Have my attys down to fogger4.1 or taifun gt.....

Anonymous
10-01-2014, 01:24 AM
I can tell you one I wouldn't reccomend, the trident clone.

Don't get me wrong, but its a small deck and if you want to rebuild duals, its not well suited for it.

johnspack
10-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Yep, I'm going to go Fogger 4.1, best price/performance from what I see. Got my Vamo V5, and even though it's already been replaced by the Vamo 20W, I love it! Able to pump 14w into my Kanger duals and just clouds of vapor, perfect flavor. Mixed up some Cuban Supreme with a few drops of MTS Vape Wazard with a fresh coil for testing. I got the trident for free, working as a dual now, but not looking forward to rebuilding it.....

johnspack
11-03-2014, 02:02 PM
Got my Fogger 4.1 today... quickly built a 1.5ohm 3mm 28g single coil for it and worked right out of the box! Wicked with cotton just to the channels, but think I'll try a few more variations before moving on to dual coils.

wheelie
11-03-2014, 02:13 PM
I think the Fogger4.1 is terrible. Have 2 of them and one I have not even open the package. To airy for my liking. I have about 15 different heads and the Fogger4 is dead last on the list for my liking. Actually it is one above the ICLEAR30. LOL

johnspack
11-04-2014, 04:57 PM
I find the airflow goes from lots to none with airflow control. Really good output from a single coil too. But... leaks like a waterfall from the airholes. It's supposed to do single coil builds, but I don't think so. Now I have to wait for my sigelei 100w mod as my stupid vamo can't properly fire duals. Guess I could use 34g instead of 28g, but I can't see well, and too friggin hard to work with.

bcameron
11-04-2014, 05:31 PM
It may take a while to get the build right on the Fogger. It is not forgiving. But when you do get it right is very good. It really is meant for dual coils. I am not sure how you would wick it properly using only one coil. The problem with a single coil is that you need to put cotton in all four channels. If you are only putting cotton in two channels then its going to leak like a sieve from the other two. I am not sure where you heard that you could do a single coil on the Fogger. I wouldn't waste any more time on it until you can build a dual coil. Then watch a lot of youtube builds on it to get a feel of how to put the wick ends in the channels so you are not choking or having it leak. It may take you a few tries.

johnspack
11-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Yep, it's designed to be wicked for 2 coils. I tried... thought I could get away using a vamo. Tried with 2, but the coils don't even glow... need moar wattage! I've already spend days of watching vids, tried every wicking method I saw. Some almost work on the single coil, so just need a mod that can run duals. Didn't buy any kangers for my other tanks this order... oops.

bcameron
11-04-2014, 06:54 PM
Fogger is a hard build for beginners. As for the coils, if you were using 28g and trying to get a resistance of 1.2ohm or higher, than yeah its going to take a long time to heat up those huge coils. You really need to go to 32g wire for that resistance. 30g may not be too bad either. Easier to work with then 32g. 28g is fine for sub-ohming.

And for the wicking. What I do is cut the ends so that they will go down the channel around 2mm. Split the ends into three strands. The middle strand goes into the channel and should fill the width of the groove no more than 1/2. In fact, if you are using organic cotton a 1/3 and if using japanese 1/2 is fine. The two outer strands gets splayed over the deck on either side of the channel. I find this the easiest way to wick and it works really well. Never get any leaks or dry hits.

bcameron
11-04-2014, 07:02 PM
By the way your Vamo is more than capable to run dual coils over 1.2 ohms.

johnspack
11-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Hmm, dual coils using 28g? I've had several attempts, but they won't heat up. I tried both coils one at a time, compressed them, got the r I wanted, glowed perfect. Put both in, crank it up to 15, and the coils just get hot but no glow. Got panasonic 3400mah batteries, they don't seem to be choking on it. I checked for any shorts, vamo shows proper resistance and nothing wrong..... hmmmm.

bcameron
11-05-2014, 05:16 AM
What I am was saying is that I am assuming you need to get at least a 1.2ohm resistance in order for the Vamo to work. Is that correct? I believe the Vamo doesn't fire under 1.2ohms. I may be wrong with the newer versions. If so and you are using 28g then the coils are going to be huge and yes they will take a long time to get hot. Like I said you need to use 32g or 30g wire for that type of resistance. They wil be smaller coils and will get hot a lot quicker.

It has nothing to do about being a dual coil. Its what you are using to build it. Why can you run Kanger and Aspire dual coils on a eGo battery?

Tells us how you are building the coils. Wire gauge, number of wraps, resistance and inner diameter.

Also you do realize that when you build dual coils the resistance is cut in half? For example if each coil you use is 2ohm when you put it in a dual coil setup you only get 1ohm? So in order for your Vamo to fire dual coil, that is if 1.2ohm is the lowest it will fire, you need to make two 2.4ohm coils. A 2.4ohm coil using 28g will take a long time to heat up and when you put 2 of them together even longer. In fact you may hit your 10s cut off before it does. If you got 30g or 32g wire use that and you will see a big difference.

johnspack
11-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Well couldn't stand seeing the thing sitting there doing nothing, so grabbed the 34g wire I had and went at it. 3 days and 3 tankfulls later can report it works perfect. Zero leaks or dry hits. A bit wimpy, barely beats kangers, but it's producing fine. Got it at 1.4ish ohms which is where I was aiming for. Of course I wasn't really sure how to spread the coils, wide or narrow, as you can't compress 34g. For my vamos, yes I have 2... I'll probably get both 30 and 32g wire. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a sigelei 100w box this month, so a roll of 28g is in order too. Only nuisance about this 4.4 fogger is emptying it. Can refill without a problem, but trying to empty the thing is a pain.....

johnspack
11-09-2014, 11:02 PM
Heh, from one extreme to the other... blown out 2 sets of coils already. I so needed 32g at least for this. 10m roll of 32g and 28g coming with my sigelei next order! Maybe some 30g just to see if the vamos can handle it. Despite the popping coils, love this fogger, really produces, flavor is fantastic, so much better than a stock tank.

amoca
11-10-2014, 12:48 PM
I can tell you one I wouldn't reccomend, the trident clone.

Don't get me wrong, but its a small deck and if you want to rebuild duals, its not well suited for it.

Good to know this. I considered getting one because it comes with a premade coil,so I'd know what it should look like. I was just musing on which to try, and was going to ask about the Trident.
I expect I'll be a dismal failure at something I can't see, so didn't want to start with a big tank like a kayfun.

Puff
11-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Good to know this. I considered getting one because it comes with a premade coil,so I'd know what it should look like. I was just musing on which to try, and was going to ask about the Trident.
I expect I'll be a dismal failure at something I can't see, so didn't want to start with a big tank like a kayfun.

It's small but it's not too bad. I started with a igo L because I wasn't sure if I'd like it/be able to build then went to a trident. The only issue I had with it was the little caps that screw onto the posts. They're really small and can be a bit fiddly but you get used to them. I really like the trident though, it's one of my favorites. Wish you lived closer so I could show you how to do coils. I have a magnifying glass thing on a stand that has arms with clips on the end. I'm sure there's a proper name for it but can't remember it :D I use that, a bright light and glasses. I can see it no problem then. tee hee. Nothing is impossible, you may rock at it. It may just take a bit to get the right things that work for you. I find micro coils the easiest to do and there's tons of videos on youtube to help you get started.

Edit: Just to add..I have issues with my hands like you do and I can do it. I just have to go slow and sometimes it takes a bit but I manage to do it :)

wheelie
11-14-2014, 04:16 PM
How you make out with your Vamo? My Vamo6 fell over on the coffee table in the first hour of having it and it blew the board in it.

johnspack
11-19-2014, 09:02 AM
My 2 Vamo5s are doing perfect. Should last for a long time. Got my Fogger build down perfect, I now love the Fogger, and will get a v5 as soon as they show up in Canada. Just put in my order for a Sigelei 100w box, and a box of 32g for kangers, and a box of 28g for the Fogger. Also ordered another 10 flavors so I'm up to over 40 to mix. This hobby is getting expensive!

>