PDA

View Full Version : Just got my VTR

TreasureShopper
03-14-2014, 08:24 PM
After about 2 months of using my eGo Twist and various tanks attached to it, I took the plunge and bought a VTR (authentic, in plastic) from cowichanpuffs (thanks brother!).

I'll admit, I really didn't know what VW was going to do for me. I found out that it controls how quickly the coils heat up. So now that's out of the way. I've got it maxed at 15 watts for an immediate, warm vape. I don't need to take two toots to get a mouthful of vapour, just one.

The flavour is astounding. I thought the flavour of my ejuice was good before (from a local vendor, Digital Smoke), but this was beyond my expectations. Cowichanpuffs can attest to the fact that the moment I fired it up, I was blown away by the difference.

I'm looking forward to trying it with a bottom coil now, I'll have to order a Protank 2 along with my replacement iClear and carts. Now to RTFM and learn more about what this bad boy can do.

HEY I vape
03-14-2014, 08:43 PM
After about 2 months of using my eGo Twist and various tanks attached to it, I took the plunge and bought a VTR (authentic, in plastic) from cowichanpuffs (thanks brother!).

I'll admit, I really didn't know what VW was going to do for me. I found out that it controls how quickly the coils heat up. So now that's out of the way. I've got it maxed at 15 watts for an immediate, warm vape. I don't need to take two toots to get a mouthful of vapour, just one.

The flavour is astounding. I thought the flavour of my ejuice was good before (from a local vendor, Digital Smoke), but this was beyond my expectations. Cowichanpuffs can attest to the fact that the moment I fired it up, I was blown away by the difference.

I'm looking forward to trying it with a bottom coil now, I'll have to order a Protank 2 along with my replacement iClear and carts. Now to RTFM and learn more about what this bad boy can do.

Congrats love mine. Here's a chart for voltage that I found helpful...hop you do too4756

TreasureShopper
03-14-2014, 08:48 PM
Just set it to 4v, 8.5w - then tried 9w. Not bad, still requires the second puff though to get the mouthful of vapour.

cowichanpuffs
03-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Not a very helpful chart. I have never built a coil above 1.2 ohms and I usually use my vtr at 4-5.5 volts I find the watt setting to take a half second longer to fire. So I mainly use volts 4 for low/sub ohm coils 5-5.5 for some higher coils.

sent from the voop room

cowichanpuffs
03-14-2014, 09:06 PM
According to chart my coils should be burning out all the time. I have never had one pop or stop working. I always just pull them out after a few days so I can build a new one.

sent from the voop room

billd_697
03-15-2014, 06:09 AM
congrats very nice purchase i have had a few vtr's great devices

Massvapor
03-18-2014, 05:43 PM

VTR with 23mm Taifun :)

wheelie
03-18-2014, 06:54 PM
Love mine also and if someone makes me mad I can throw it at them! LOL

Ian91
03-19-2014, 02:05 PM
15w seems pretty high. You must go through batteries pretty quickly. By the way, you can either use watts or volts. Not both. Formula is Watts = Volts squared / ohms. You are using the last one that you set. Press the button. Whatever comes up is the one that you are using.

TreasureShopper
03-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Yeah...I've since calmed down on the wattage...down to around 9.5/10

Ian91
03-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Best thing to do is to get a clearo with 1.5ohms. That way you can keep your watts higher and it will not eat your battery as fast. If you work thru the math, 9 watts with a 2.0ohm coil is using 4.24 volts. Cut it down to 1.5ohm and you are using 3.67 volts.

TreasureShopper
03-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Best thing to do is to get a clearo with 1.5ohms. That way you can keep your watts higher and it will not eat your battery as fast. If you work thru the math, 9 watts with a 2.0ohm coil is using 4.24 volts. Cut it down to 1.5ohm and you are using 3.67 volts.

Thanks for the info, I was mistakenly under the impression that they were combined controls, where the voltage was the amount of electricity coursing through the coil, and the wattage controlled how quickly the coil heated.

I'm currently using the 2.1ohm iClear 30s that came with it. Beautiful tank, great flavour, a bit of a juice pig. I'm also swapping out my newly aquired Unitank for flavour changes. 2.6ohm resistance on that one.

Battery life doesn't matter too much to me, I've got one in the unit itself (showing green since this morning) and three more fully charged in my gear box.

Still got lots to learn...so many thanks to you, and the folks on this forum. Makes it a lot easier to figure out how to get the most out of the experience.

Vapowulf
03-19-2014, 05:49 PM
It should be the same battery drain with the same wattage, shouldn't it? The battery is actually putting out whatever voltage it has in its state of charge.

Ian91
03-20-2014, 06:35 AM
Variable voltage circuitry will manage how many volts your device actually gets. It will normally range from 3 to 6 volts even though your battery fully charged will be around 3.7 volts. If you use variable wattage, the higher the ohm rating on your coil, the more voltage you need to sustain the wattage you selected and the faster your battery will drain.

With mechanical mods without a kick, they start at 3.7 volts and work their way down as the battery drains. That is why they all want sub-ohm coils so that they can vary and maximize the wattage that they are getting from a static voltage battery. Using a regulated device, you are normally limited to how low you can go with your coils.

Vapowulf
03-20-2014, 07:16 AM
Variable voltage circuitry will manage how many volts your device actually gets. It will normally range from 3 to 6 volts even though your battery fully charged will be around 3.7 volts. If you use variable wattage, the higher the ohm rating on your coil, the more voltage you need to sustain the wattage you selected and the faster your battery will drain.

You can't draw more voltage out of a battery than it has. You can output more or less voltage through the circuitry by varying the current, but the input from the battery will be according to the battery's state of charge. If the end resulting power (wattage) is the same, the battery drain time should be the same. That would be my understanding. No?

Ian91
03-20-2014, 08:13 AM
I believe the variable voltage circuitry has the ability to store up power to supply more than the stated battery level when required.

Vapowulf
03-20-2014, 08:30 AM
I believe the variable voltage circuitry has the ability to store up power to supply more than the stated battery level when required.
Voltage = amps x resistance. So where resistance is the same, variance of amps will result in desired voltage.

JoeyRedShirt
03-20-2014, 11:43 AM
It's done with operational amplifiers. An Op-amp output is based on current, independent of voltage. The practical upshot of this is that an op-amp can "output a voltage" that is higher than its input voltage if you have an appropriate load resistance (in an APV, this load is the atty). I was into my 3rd year of an electrical engineering degree before op-amps made sense, so don't feel bad if it all sounds like black magic! But simply stated, a regulated mod's performance is based on the max throughput current of the op-amps in the circuitry, not the input voltage of the battery.

Ian91
03-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Thank you. I knew that it somehow stored and regulated the voltage but I had no idea how it did it.

>