PDA

View Full Version : Capital Health conducting an ecig study???

cactusgirl
02-05-2014, 07:09 AM
I just came across this ad on Kijiji....interesting.

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-part-time-students-Electronic-Cigarette-Study-Participants-Needed-W0QQAdIdZ562144042

Wolffy
02-05-2014, 10:45 AM
5 cigarettes a week is considered a smoker? Their selection of e cigarette brand ought to be pretty interesting.

I think I can see where this is going.

Vapowulf
02-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Sounds like they will be giving out ecigs to smokers.... I should go down and pretend I still smoke!

Switcher
02-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Yup! Read the script, and... I don't qualify :( This is nothing short of sickening :(:(

VaEHp
02-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Optimism and hope?... I guess at least something happening out there, need more studies and local ones too... seems like it would be good for 1/2 pack to 2 pack a day smokers to join up and hopefully record some truthful realistic facts but...who knows...it'll probably just report a bunch corrupt negative results, sad to think like that eh...

Vapowulf
02-05-2014, 04:49 PM
I wonder if it's this guy's lab: http://www.dal.ca/sites/tobacco-addictions/research.html

Has his name at least on this study (2010-SRNT-Europe-Conference)

Subjective and reinforcing effects of electronic cigarettes in male and female smokers
Authors: Christine Darredeau [Dalhousie University, Canada], Mallory Campbell, Kirsten Temporale, Sean P. Barrett

Objectives: Electronic cigarettes have been marketed as a safer alternative to smoked tobacco products and even as a smoking cessation aid; however, concerns have been raised about the lack of research confirming their safety and efficacy or evaluating their addictive potential. This project examined the subjective and reinforcing effects of electronic cigarettes with different nicotine content in male and female smokers.

Methods: Eleven adult smokers completed two randomized double-blinded laboratory sessions following overnight abstinence from smoking. Participants received electronic cigarettes that differed across sessions in their manufacturer-reported nicotine content (i.e. nicotine-containing or nicotine-free). They completed subjective assessments at baseline and immediately following sampling of the electronic cigarette, and were then invited to earn additional puffs using a computerized progressive ratio task.

Results: In both conditions, sampling of the electronic cigarette was followed by a reduction in self-reported cigarette craving (especially in women), and self-administration rates were low.

Conclusions: Findings suggest that regardless of nicotine content, electronic cigarettes may provide an effective means of relieving acute tobacco craving in at least some smokers.

Puff
02-05-2014, 06:10 PM
I hope they've done research about the different types of ecigs and give them semi decent ones so they have some hope of quitting/cutting down and don't write ecigs off as useless because they gave them crap ones.

Would it be worthwhile for someone there to contact them about what they're using to test?

Ugh..nm..should have completely read the above post, looks like they've already done one. Sleeepy..heh

>