PDA

View Full Version : Innokin VTR durability?

von'till
01-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Read couple reviews and happy with Innokin products and understand vv/vw as I have three Itaste vv/vw 3.0 going :biggrin1:

Reviews stated that it is durable and built like a brick shit house, but curious what any of you think of it as far as Durability goes?

Give me/us scenarios of how far it dropped.
Did it drop and do a dramatic roll and drop from other levels.
Did it drop and roll banging into other surfaces.
Did the drip tip on the clearo bust off as it fell.
Was the polycarbonate or glass clearo still intact when it did drop.
What sort of surfaces has it introduced itself to as it fell.

... So forth.

I could give a flying frig if it scratches, dents, leaves fingerprints, cracks (handy with Macgyver-ing things). Lookin into durability an reliability when it does meet hard surfaces.

Thanks for your input.

DJLO
01-16-2014, 12:28 PM
The thing is a tank - literally. I have not dropped mine (yet) but i can assure you if i drop that thing from 5 feet on my ceramic tiles, it will crack one and the unit will be unscathed. It weighs almost a full pound and you can feel that it is durable.

The ring around the clearomizer should help protect it from shattering. Unless it lands somehow on a corner of the glass, i can't honesty see how it would crack

drtongue96
01-16-2014, 01:18 PM
I have one. I must have dropped it once because I got a chip on the control knob. Like anything, it could be busted. I wouldn't want to drop it much though because IT could break something else, like what DJLO says, and you wouldn't want to drop it on your foot.

Mindfield
01-16-2014, 04:28 PM
Yeah, the thing is a tank, and could probably come out smiling after being run over by one. My only real concern about it as far as long-term durability goes is the connector. It's not as rigid as I'd like and I'm afraid that with extended use it may become loose and flaky. I have nothing to back this up other than it feels, to me, like this could potentially happen.

But I wouldn't worry about hurting it if you drop it. I'd be more concerned about the health of whatever it was dropped on.

von'till
01-16-2014, 05:47 PM
So aside from the tank being exposed, is there any wiggle room where the topper is? Was thinking applying metal tubing thin enough to hug the topper and clear that back side. Then I was thinking, some tubing with the same diameter as that top portion could be applied like a half shield to most vulnerable spot. As long as the tank gives room like 19mm and under.

Was lookin at pictures but could not see to clearly.

As far as the connector being flaky, think that could be Macgyver'ed. Thinkin it would be a descent beater of a work PVD and with descent sized maH batts.

zerosum
01-17-2014, 10:35 PM
I haven't seen any MIL spec mods yet.

The most sensitive area would be wreaking the threads. The ideal solution would be an adapter that would break before the threads get wreaked - like plastic. Sometimes it's easier and cheaper to replace a broken part than replace something that's not supposed to break in the first place.

Mindfield
01-18-2014, 09:43 AM
So aside from the tank being exposed, is there any wiggle room where the topper is?

Depends on the size of the topper. Most of the ones I've tried that fit have some wiggle room, yes. (Kanger ProTank/2/3/AeroTank, VapeOnly vTank, Vivi, etc.) And obviously eGo-sized toppers have plenty of wiggle room. Even the adapter that comes with the VTR to let you fit toppers too big for the slot has a bit of wiggle room.

Was thinking applying metal tubing thin enough to hug the topper and clear that back side. Then I was thinking, some tubing with the same diameter as that top portion could be applied like a half shield to most vulnerable spot. As long as the tank gives room like 19mm and under.

Yeah, you could shim it if you had thin enough tubes that had the same OD as the ID of the retainer ring the same ID as the OD of the topper you want to use. Bit of a jury rig but it could work.

von'till
01-18-2014, 09:57 AM
Depends on the size of the topper. Most of the ones I've tried that fit have some wiggle room, yes. (Kanger ProTank/2/3/AeroTank, VapeOnly vTank, Vivi, etc.) And obviously eGo-sized toppers have plenty of wiggle room. Even the adapter that comes with the VTR to let you fit toppers too big for the slot has a bit of wiggle room.

Yeah, you could shim it if you had thin enough tubes that had the same OD as the ID of the retainer ring the same ID as the OD of the topper you want to use. Bit of a jury rig but it could work.

Appreciate it Mindfield, not lookin for a showcase piece on the job site. Just lookin for reliability for when it comes to the structure of a PVD and Innokin is aces in my books already.

Mindfield
01-18-2014, 10:05 AM
Appreciate it Mindfield, not lookin for a showcase piece on the job site. Just lookin for reliability for when it comes to the structure of a PVD and Innokin is aces in my books already.

If that's the case then sure, as a workhorse unit, with a little shimming to shore up the play in the topper, it would work great and do well to protect your topper. You'll probably want to avoid glass tanks for obvious reasons, go for something with a metal sheath on the outside and you should be good for an all-around durable mod. Just don't drop it on someone's head. They won't likely survive. :D

von'till
01-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Just don't drop it on someone's head. They won't likely survive. :D

I'll be mindful to keep 'er my back pocket or the tool bag as opposed to a shirt pocket or overall bib, that would be nasty.

Death by plummeting PVD? :shocked:

billd_697
01-23-2014, 04:50 AM
1st one i had, had to go back for a warranty exchange, developed a increasingly long pause before it would fire and then quit altogether. Got a backup from fast tech,with revolving wheel (older style) then warranty one came back with a fixed wheel (new style)

1st one i dropped 4 times from about 4 ft, started with problems (i did take it apart before return and it seems fairly well built from and electronic stand point IMO)

backup i have dropped 5 times still works good

newer warranty replacement it have dropped twice still working great, i like the fixed wheel better, easier to tighten devices

i have been using at least 1 exclusively since they released only compliant is the weight

billd_697
01-23-2014, 04:57 AM
also on a side note i need some help finding the pic and member who mounted a KFL or russian in their vtr ?????

shades
01-23-2014, 05:55 AM
I have broken everything I have gotten so far to date :)

I didn't drop the VTR, I pretty much flung it from about 4-5 feet in the air when I snatched up a blanket off the couch, which happened to be hiding my VTR and it landed on my concrete floor. It is still running like a champ, although it did make a small hairline crack in the protank that I had on it.

The main reason I bought the VTR was hoping it was Shades-proof, and don't mind losing a tank over a PV, so I am a happy camper thus far.

Plus, as an added bonus, it can double as a weapon in your hand if you get into a bar fight :D It has some serious weight to it, I have been curling it in my mouse hand to keep my mouse arm strong ;) :p

JGvapes
01-23-2014, 06:15 AM
also on a side note i need some help finding the pic and member who mounted a KFL or russian in their vtr ?????

Billd_697
Is this the pic you're talking about buddy?

http://www.wackedoutecig.ca/threads/5786-Modified!-Now-I-can-use-all-my-22mm-RBA-s?p=82814#post82814

billd_697
01-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Yup thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

von'till
01-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the detailed scenarios, billd_697 and shades. Will be a work PVD so i'll need a rough an tumble workhorse when the time comes to drop some cash down on the VTR, charger, batts and clearos.

Gqballa
01-24-2014, 05:58 AM
Love mine. I don't use it much as I mostly use mech mods. But it's nice sometimes just to have a something I don't need to fiddle around with

dead_aim77
01-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Would the older style (rotating 510 connection) be better in the long run?? or the new style non rotating one??

drtongue96
01-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Some prefer the old-style so they can put the air hole where they like after they screw their atty in, if they've modded it to fit their atty, or their atty already fits.

Solomance
02-12-2014, 07:36 PM
I have had my vtr for about 3 months now. It is a tank and has survived some rough treatment.
And got me selected for screening at the airport :p

My only complaint is the tightening wheel with the 510 connector. It has dripped its threading. The metal is some soft cast job that is softer than the threads on tanks.

I've been trying to find a replacement part or third party part but with no luck.

Again I recommend the vtr but I also need to fix mine.

HEY I vape
02-14-2014, 08:17 AM
Anyone want to compare this with the MVP 2 and make a recommendation?

drtongue96
02-14-2014, 04:47 PM
VTR vs. MVP-2?

I can try:

VTR PRO's: cool as fuck!, heavy!, replaceable batteries, easy to use, battery door, goes up to 15w
VTR CONs: heavy!, battery life good, but not as good as MVP, hurts when dropped on foot, needs batteries and a good charger.

MVP PROS: GREAT battery life, can charge phone with usb, light(er), doesn't need batteries or a charger (comes with micro-usb cord), charges with standard usb
MVP CONS: non-replaceable battery, ordinary looking(?), only goes to 11w

Really you can't go wrong with either. I always tell my customers the MVP is the better buy for the money as it's a lot cheaper. I've had mine since August, and it's still good (V1), and I have a VTR too that I use as well when I'm being as cool as school at parties and such and such.

Mindfield
02-14-2014, 06:02 PM
VTR CONs: heavy!, battery life good, but not as good as MVP, hurts when dropped on foot, needs batteries and a good charger.

Battery life depends on the battery. Using a Panny NCR18650B 3400mAh in mine, works great, lasts forever.

HEY I vape
02-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Thanks Dr ...I guess the MVP 2 is a better nest step after an ego spinner

I was thinkg VTR with 30S

AND

http://www.eastcoastvape.ca/product-p/ncr3400.htm

http://www.eastcoastvape.ca/product-p/tr001.htm

yeroc1982
02-17-2014, 07:39 PM
I don't know about the vtr but my svd is crap! Iv had it 2 weeks and it's always shutting off randomly and and 50% of the time it won't fire or will take a few seconds to fire. On the other hand, my wife has a mvp2 and hasn't charged it in 6 days and the light is still green!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

HEY I vape
02-22-2014, 06:38 PM
I don't know about the vtr but my svd is crap! Iv had it 2 weeks and it's always shutting off randomly and and 50% of the time it won't fire or will take a few seconds to fire. On the other hand, my wife has a mvp2 and hasn't charged it in 6 days and the light is still green!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Just got the MVP and it's great...hmmmm which one next??

Igor_in_CH
02-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Just got mine last week but as others have said, the thing is a beast, heavy and rock solid. I was thinking of something like very thin maybe 1/16" or 1/32" stick on rubber gasket to go between the clearo and the upper ring, easy to apply and replace and it would remove the wiggle room from the clearo top and ring, keep it all nice and snug, definitely have to leave a bit of room to pass the clearo through though so trial and error on the first fit. The only thing I could see getting damaged if you dropped it would be the LED screen if it fell the right way or the drip tip, more than likely you'd end up damaging whatever it hit though!

>