PDA

View Full Version : Vape budget hands

Brian
11-27-2013, 08:42 PM
as Nick would say......
I don't think anyone would get the clone if they could afford the original
But I have seen both and the clones do have merit
There are noticeable differences between the two
But is China making those differences smaller and smaller all the time?
Perhaps
Time will tell

JGvapes
12-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Totally agree! I've been on a bit of a clone mission over the last little while. My opinion is that high mods are way over priced, especially mechanical mods. At the end of the day it's just a ss tube with a mechanical firing switch and a 510 connection. I understand that the machining is a notch above the rest, but as you said they're getting better and better coming out of china. You can easily blow $185 - 300 on a mech mod, for that price I'd sooner blow the cash on sweet DNA20 mod

Got a Nemisis clone and Kayfun, kraken clones. I can't imagine they perform any less than the original, the way I see it is that the quality of the machining may not be as good as the real deal but the performance is probably just as good!

MrTGun
12-21-2013, 06:47 PM
Let me predict the future. This thread is going to turn into a huge fucking shit storm.....and for once I didn't start it:)

Cloned attys - No thanks, not trusting enough with my lungs

Cloned mechs - No thanks. I can afford the original, and pride of ownership matters to me.

I'll sit back now and wait for Random, Kubrick, BK, Kingpin etc to chime in and watch this get messy.

TG

JGvapes
12-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Let me predict the future. This thread is going to turn into a huge fucking shit storm.....and for once I didn't start it:)

Cloned mechs - No thanks. I can afford the original, and pride of ownership matters to me.

TG

TG

Haha, and so it begins!

I think I should add to this....there are some shitty clones out there and I own a few of em (which don't get used) but there also a lot of them that I have that are good clones, Nemisis mod, Bagua, promethus atty, kayfun lite, fogger, taifun. The machining on some of them is excellent especially the Fogger and promethus. I also have a Russian 91% (Original) which with the same set up as the kayfun lite clone doesn't perform any better to be honest, yes it looks the part.

Concerned about your lungs, just make sure you don't buy a sh*t clone?! If you sure it's all Stainless and not chromed or painted..Happy days.

I can afford the real deal too, but prefer to spend that kind of money on a DNA20 where you get regulated output from start to finish, longer battery life and sub ohm support (to an extent). I guarantee you some of these high mods that are made cost a small drop in the ocean to manufacture compared to what they're actually being sold for...As I said before it's just an ss tube/brass whatever it may be with some engravings and smoother threads. I can understand it, if it's made out titanium or kryptonite but stainless steel...

Everyone has their vices, and I don't judge anyone who spends that sort of money on a mech mod its just MY opinion, and much like me who would gladly spend that amount of money on a DNA20 mod! I guess your argument now could be.....well, that's just a box with DNA20 chip some buttons and a battery...

Also, I think some of the high end mech mods look slick as f@#k but the price, for a piece of ss tube!

On a lighter note, I guess this was a good icebreaker for an introduction, haha.

Vape On!

Yup.. there is going to be poo flying in all directions. I've pretty much stick to namebrand attys just cause I've tried the clones and they are garbage and very poorly made. I don't see myself forking out couple hundred for a metal tube with a switch and a fancy name, so if the origional pricing was a bit more reasonable then it would be more appealing to buy a origional rather than a clone.
I'm one to talk cause I own a Harley just cause its a Harley and it gets me to the same place a Honda does but with more style.

randomname
12-21-2013, 09:05 PM
meh, the markets so over saturated now that you can get good mods for a great price. i"m seeing genuine nemmies that can't be sold for $130 bucks here and there. Then there's the whole issue with flawed metals being used in atty's.
Now correct me if i'm wrong but last time i heard the hcigar nem clone which is probably the only one worth having is a bit over 50 bucks. You can get really decent entry level high end mod in the 80 to 140 range. There's not enough people that know about the mid level mods. They still have the great machining and function but they tend not to be as fancy with the designs on the outer engraving.you can get and origen for around 100 bucks too, I think i paid 65 for my AL1 so for 165 you can have the complete "high end" vape. You don't have to break the bank to get the real thing.
There will always be people who want the real thing and people who are too cheap to buy it, there's also people who can't afford it. It's a fact that none of these groups will ever see eye to eye due to the fact each one thinks their way is the right way. Personally the whole "it's an overpriced metal tube" and "they are two hard to find" arguments are totally ludacris to me because i believe you get what you pay for. If i got to canadian tire and buy a set of pliers i expect to maybe get a year out of them, if i go out and get a set of klein pliers i expect them to last much longer and most likely fail due to user error. All you have to do is look around and you can find great prices on mechs.
Vaping is a hobby for me, i tend to only get the best when i'm passionate about something. Some people pay $1000 for a pair of shoes or a purse, some people pay crazy amounts of money for little figurines. It's the same thing isn't it, probably only costs 100 bucks to make those shoes so they're grossly overpriced. Having said that if your in the anti high end group you should do what you want. No skin off my back but if someone posts some stupid comment i won't hold my tongue. I wouldn't treat someone who bought high end gear any different so why should i be polite just to appease the masses, but then i'm a dick and i know it.

I think we should just all throw poo at MrTGun. He probably likes that shit though.

Brian
12-21-2013, 11:45 PM
I'm lucky..... alot are not
I can throw hundreds of dollars at my obsession
if the guy that couldn't met me in the bar and compared his set up to mine?
I'd just say nothing and hide in the posse

JGvapes
12-22-2013, 06:51 AM
meh, the markets so over saturated now that you can get good mods for a great price. i"m seeing genuine nemmies that can't be sold for $130 bucks here and there. Then there's the whole issue with flawed metals being used in atty's.
Now correct me if i'm wrong but last time i heard the hcigar nem clone which is probably the only one worth having is a bit over 50 bucks. You can get really decent entry level high end mod in the 80 to 140 range. There's not enough people that know about the mid level mods. They still have the great machining and function but they tend not to be as fancy with the designs on the outer engraving.you can get and origen for around 100 bucks too, I think i paid 65 for my AL1 so for 165 you can have the complete "high end" vape. You don't have to break the bank to get the real thing.
There will always be people who want the real thing and people who are too cheap to buy it, there's also people who can't afford it. It's a fact that none of these groups will ever see eye to eye due to the fact each one thinks their way is the right way. Personally the whole "it's an overpriced metal tube" and "they are two hard to find" arguments are totally ludacris to me because i believe you get what you pay for. If i got to canadian tire and buy a set of pliers i expect to maybe get a year out of them, if i go out and get a set of klein pliers i expect them to last much longer and most likely fail due to user error. All you have to do is look around and you can find great prices on mechs.
Vaping is a hobby for me, i tend to only get the best when i'm passionate about something. Some people pay $1000 for a pair of shoes or a purse, some people pay crazy amounts of money for little figurines. It's the same thing isn't it, probably only costs 100 bucks to make those shoes so they're grossly overpriced. Having said that if your in the anti high end group you should do what you want. No skin off my back but if someone posts some stupid comment i won't hold my tongue. I wouldn't treat someone who bought high end gear any different so why should i be polite just to appease the masses, but then i'm a dick and i know it.

I think we should just all throw poo at MrTGun. He probably likes that shit though.

Randomname,

I agree with what you have said, vaping is a hobby for me too. I've got s#@t all over the place and I don't see it stopping. I'm not "anti high end mod" nor am I bashing anyone who owns high mods. This is just an opinion and you're right, no one is ever going to agree on this subject. It's just how it is. As I said, before a lot of the high mods I've seen are slick a f@#k! and I'm actually considering adding a high end mech mod to my vape collection, I feel that I should, just because. Haha.

The Nemisis clone I got cost me $25, and it's a pretty steady little mod, no misfires (as of yet) I'm just waiting. Flip the coin and it's a different story, I got a Chi you clone and that went in the bin after about an hour, now that was a POS. People say that the clones are s@$t, and I agree to an extent, but there are some good ones out there, just have to choose the right one. They are getting A LOT better. Also, high mech mods are not without their faults either.

At the end of the day, each to their own, and everyone is different. Ending on that note....VAPE ON and Merry Xmas Vapers!!

Cheers,

Jason

Densetsu
12-22-2013, 09:30 AM
I have both high end and clones, I wanted to see if there was a difference and to be able to make informed comments and suggestions. Clones, replicas, tributes...whatever you want to call them are definitely getting better and better. This trend happens in every market, look at cell phones...I paid $4500 for my first cell phone that I wore as a "purse" - mass production allowed the cost of the units and the availability to become readily available, sizes to become more stylish, , price drops dramatically and more and more people can use them. What is happening now can only be good for the vaping community - affordability = more and more people can get into it. Are there bad cell phones? OF COURSE, that is why you must educate yourself - so too in vaping.
The only thing that irks me is when someone makes a comment either claiming superior or inferior claims of one device over another based on here say or some imagined concept of their own. We do not need any more misinformation within our community - we get enough of that from the "anti" lobbyists. I respect that you are allowed to express your opinions, but please let those opinions be based on fact or actual personal experience.

To the group of people who are clone seekers, I would encourage them to spend a little extra on a high end setup to experience why people are so passionate about them.
To the "elitist" group - I'd encourage them to grab a better built clone of one of their devices to see just how close the mass produce Chinese stuff has progressed. I know I was pleasantly surprised by the Kayfun clones.

We need to find common ground, remember - we are all here together for the same reason - staying off of analogs. Some view this as a hobby, others, like myself, see it as a lifestyle choice - but no matter what drove us to this point, we are all meeting here at a central hub known as a Vaping Community. Let's help one another avoid any mistakes that we have all made, educate one another against all of the BS that is being spewed out there, and most importantly - help each other find our ideal vape.

Rant off...VAPE STRONG

David.

JGvapes
12-22-2013, 01:33 PM
I have both high end and clones, I wanted to see if there was a difference and to be able to make informed comments and suggestions. Clones, replicas, tributes...whatever you want to call them are definitely getting better and better. This trend happens in every market, look at cell phones...I paid $4500 for my first cell phone that I wore as a "purse" - mass production allowed the cost of the units and the availability to become readily available, sizes to become more stylish, , price drops dramatically and more and more people can use them. What is happening now can only be good for the vaping community - affordability = more and more people can get into it. Are there bad cell phones? OF COURSE, that is why you must educate yourself - so too in vaping.
The only thing that irks me is when someone makes a comment either claiming superior or inferior claims of one device over another based on here say or some imagined concept of their own. We do not need any more misinformation within our community - we get enough of that from the "anti" lobbyists. I respect that you are allowed to express your opinions, but please let those opinions be based on fact or actual personal experience.

To the group of people who are clone seekers, I would encourage them to spend a little extra on a high end setup to experience why people are so passionate about them.
To the "elitist" group - I'd encourage them to grab a better built clone of one of their devices to see just how close the mass produce Chinese stuff has progressed. I know I was pleasantly surprised by the Kayfun clones.

We need to find common ground, remember - we are all here together for the same reason - staying off of analogs. Some view this as a hobby, others, like myself, see it as a lifestyle choice - but no matter what drove us to this point, we are all meeting here at a central hub known as a Vaping Community. Let's help one another avoid any mistakes that we have all made, educate one another against all of the BS that is being spewed out there, and most importantly - help each other find our ideal vape.

Rant off...VAPE STRONG

David.

Well Said David!

There is one thing that is so true...Your vape experience lies in your equipment.
Chances are you will have problems as a new vaper trying to save a few bucks on clones and knockoffs and from lack of knowledge of whats good out there but then later going to have to spend twice to replace that so called bargain gear. I've been down that trying to save road just to end up having to put out the money to replace crappy attys and gear.

kingpin
12-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Alright so I will make this my last ever comment on clones and I urge people not to be selective in their reading and pick 1 thing out from what I am saying.

I have never had an issue with a person who cannot afford the real thing buying a cheaper product.
I mean I can't afford a Mercedes.

My issue is with people buying replicas and exact clones right down to the engravings. This is theft of someones IP. You can argue that they are all tubes and there is only so far you can change something, but when someone is copying the original to pass it off as the real thing that is not right.
I find it disrespectful to the modder.

Like I've mentioned before I lost a hell of a lot of money a few years ago when my ip was stolen and it is a sore point for me.
The Chinese I think are a hell of a lot more creative and artistic then the rest of the world and I love their culture, their food and art as in my business I see a lot of it and have a lot of Asian customers.
But to make 1 to 1 copies and even call them the same name as the originals is not something I agree with.
You can even argue that there is a moral issue involved with purchasing them but I don't want to offend the easily offended anymore.

My previous comments in another thread that are still there were 99% tongue in cheek about being an elitist.
I am proud of the fact that I've never traded for what I have, and have bought the majority of my collection except for 2 pieces brand new.
There is a lot of pride in that for me.
Don't take someone who doesn't beat around the bush and is blunt and speaks his mind as rude.
Personally I'd rather hear the truth straight out from someone then alf truths and bullshit.

I also take issue when a new vaper comes in and the first company they are told to deal with is fastech when we have at least a dozen companies here who could supply them with their starter kits. Sure they may pay a few more dollars here but they will also get one to one service for what they buy. Most companies owners are on this board and take care of their customers questions and concerns when they are needed. Not to mention a lot of our vendors sending extras in their packages.

So take what you want from this.
I am in no way offering any apology to what I've said in the past or how I've said it.
If I think someone is a dick, I will tell them that.

So Merry Christmas to everyone[screw happy holidays] :D and I hope your Christmas tree[not a holiday tree] burns bright through the rest of the year!

Nemesis
12-23-2013, 10:33 AM

Actually I might got lucky with FT because the FT Nemesis is really good , the Hcigar I got from here is a little better but not by much. H cigar feels and looks nicer but vaping wise they're the same. This is based on 100% personal experience. The Exhalevapor Nemesis sold as Hcigar is also a very good unit , that is the reason I didn't even bothered to send it back.

Brian
12-23-2013, 06:19 PM
I think that you should really try a real Nemmy before doing comparisons
When you talk about the merits of one Nemmy clone over another, I'm left scratching my head.
I mean it just seems absurd to me that you're extolling the virtues of a rip off without knowing what the original is
You love this mod so much, you changed your forum name for it
Yet, I'v to hear you say that your Hcigar is a better investment than the real thing.
I think that may be a reason why some people on here get a little cranky
the opinion just lacks credibility

Charlie
12-23-2013, 07:00 PM
oh what to say....
I agree with buying a clone for lack of $$$.
I hate that something gets copied 1:1 down to serial #
I like to buy authentic and original gear weather or not its expensive...someone thought of the design and put hard work into it.
buying from a real person or company gives you the ability to support that person and hope they make even cooler stuff.

I was going to buy a kayfun lite clone then someone posted a rusty pic of one.
no thanks

also I like to buy quality stuff that is made of solid materials because I break everything

I've used and owned a real nemesis and they hit hard and are tanks

Brian
12-23-2013, 09:14 PM
well said!
{exclamation needed for 10 char}

shiver905
01-08-2014, 03:16 AM
Iíve read a lot of irrelevant comments on here from some high end mod collectors chiming into a simple question or complaint about a clone. Itís sad to see. My reply is geared towards them.

High end devices are marketed to a certain group of enthusiasts.
Iíve seen some devices go for 1000$+.

The pure simplicity from an engineering stand point on how a mech mod works and cost involved in the manufacturing is small.
(150$ DNA20 mod and a 1000$ Caravela)

I havenít read many ďWhy the hell would you spend that much on that when you can buy a _____ and 300 starter kits to give out to smokers.

Irrelevant? If you like this "hobby so much? Get more people on it.

Do you like collecting expensive things? Go for it.
I donít understand why people collect stamps,
But whatever floats your boat.

IMO, Clones are great. Cheaper vapes translates into another reason smokers should make the switch.

The only thing that caught my attention was "Cloned attys - No thanks, not trusting enough with my lungs"
Thatís a good one.

As life goes on you get hardened to the point you donít trust anything. How would you know your original atty was not by handled by radioactive SARS babies.
Oh, But you meant the materials. Google it.

When Iím being a dick I know it :D

gmypc
01-08-2014, 08:09 PM
There are good arguments on both sides for sure. But I just want to address another side of the "it's just a tube, it does not cost that much to make" argument.

For some modders, it started out with an idea for a design. They wanted their friends to know what they think of their creation. They buy a lathe, invest a lot of time and money. They purchase raw material at a much higher price because they don't have volume.

The creation becomes a hit. They upgrade their lathe or buy a cnc, invest more time to make more people happy. How do they recover the cost of their machines (tooling, wear, etc)?

What if a person truly have something to offer the vaping world but doesn't because he's afraid that some big company could just copy his work for nothing?

(The few I've followed that sort of fit the mold - iHybrid, billet box, rocket science mods, satburn, doc dave(?), etc. I'm sure there's a lot more and all the history are easy to find on the forums.)

Some people might say 'run it as a business' from the start. Meaning do things like figure out the most cost effective way (outsource the production), file patents, etc.

Yes, but to me, the word 'modder' means grassroots diy and innovation above business for profit.

>