PDA

View Full Version : Police investigating toddler’s death from nicotine overdose

katmandu
05-30-2013, 07:31 PM
Authorities look at possible negligence after two-year old fatally drinks liquid refill for electronic cigarette

Police on Tuesday launched an investigation into possible negligence after doctors were unable to save the life of a young girl who died from drinking liquid nicotine on Tuesday.

Naomi Elbaz, just two and a half, collapsed at her parents home in the ultra-Orthodox Beit Yisrael neighborhood of Jerusalem.

A Magen David Adom ambulance crew tried to resuscitate the girl who was found in a dazed state. After stabilizing her pulse, they evacuated her to the nearby Hadassah Hospital Mount Scopus. However, the youngster’s condition rapidly deteriorated and she was transferred to the Hadassah Hospital in Ein Kerem for further treatment. Despite desperate efforts by doctors, she eventually died.

Initial reports said that Elbaz’s parents were not with her when she drank the liquid and she was being watched over by her grandparents. At some point the toddler, an only child, went to her grandfather’s room and drank from a small bottle of liquid nicotine that he used to refill his electronic cigarette. The bottle was sent to a police laboratory for tests to determine exactly what was in the liquid.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/police-investigating-toddler-death-from-nicotine-overdose/

hammerhead
05-30-2013, 07:36 PM
wow... I really hope that one big mistake on behalf of one couple or grandparent vaper DOES NOT tarnish e cigs for us all(just realized I totally typed the wrong thing).... Don't get me wrong, I feel immensely for the parents here. This is truly a tragedy! I believe that if young children are in a vapers home, e liquid should be kept under lock and key!! What about child proof bottles? Just a terrible situation.... My thoughts and prayers are with the family!!

katmandu
05-30-2013, 07:39 PM
I read it with disbelief - I had no words. That poor baby girl, her grandparents and parents must be devastated.

lucv13
05-30-2013, 07:40 PM
That's so sad

Nicklfire
05-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Kind of hits home with my son being under 2 years. Makes me want to get a cabinet with a key or something along those lines. Kids have their hands in everything all the time.

- shawn

rotormonkey
05-30-2013, 07:41 PM
No kidding. Really this can happen with anything. Kids could just as easily go drink the draino under the sink. If you're gonna have kids in the house all that stuff should be up out of reach - including the nic.

That said, it's something that's pretty easy just not to think about. I don't know about "negligent". Just tragic.

hammerhead
05-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Kind of hits home with my son being under 2 years. Makes me want to get a cabinet with a key or something along those lines. Kids have their hands in everything all the time.

- shawn

I do not have children, but I know I would lock up my juices if I did.... Some of them smell so good that I might drink them if I didn't know what they were... Can't imagine what they seem like to a child... This is just so sad....

hammerhead
05-30-2013, 07:48 PM
That said, it's something that's pretty easy just not to think about. I don't know about "negligent". Just tragic.
At first I used the word negligent in my post, but have edited it after some thought. It was a mistake or simple oversight. I feel immensely for this family. It is just terrible.

Vapecouver
05-30-2013, 07:49 PM
More kids get seriously injured or killed more from household cleaners and they don't ban them. Although, if I was a juice vendor, I might just switch to child proof caps asap. Terrible story on all levels.

hammerhead
05-30-2013, 07:53 PM
I agree with the household cleaners, it's just too bad that vaping is facing opposition from certain groups. I think child proof caps should be mandatory!!! This happening once is too many times already!

kingpin
05-30-2013, 07:59 PM
First off yes it's a sad thing for this to happen and should never have in the first place.
The reality though is that it's probably not the first time and it won't be the last time.
There is a risk to everything we do.

It will be the media and the haters who will make this an issue against ecigs.

Deenabs
05-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Very sad news indeed.A 2 year old Doesnt even understand the word NO properly.My Thoughts with the little girls family.

hammerhead
05-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Is there anything we as a community can do to help out the family involved here? I believe it would be a good idea if our community would show them support in any way we could. We all gotta stick together!

struckus
05-30-2013, 08:09 PM
wow what a shame..stresses the importance of being a conscious parent..my kids being 7 and 9 are told weekly not to touch anything in my room I have for vaping..were they younger it would be out of their reach..I can't imagine that happening as a parent..

SoUnique
05-30-2013, 08:43 PM
I hate that this has happened. I can't even imagine what this family is suffering through. A place I hope to never be.

As educated, responsible adults, it is our responsibility to be the keepers of safety. We have learned by the teaching of others. We are now the teachers, let us not fail.

IMO, We have a responsibility, to keep all safe, from what we know can harm them.

GUS-mOD
05-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Hi

i wanna express my sorry for the fact

Just the factory s of the liquid can make more secure the bottle if they want
I mean not broke not open easy from a child have clever seal something like what do the factory for the plug on our
houses protected

VapeMate.com
05-31-2013, 05:50 AM
Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos comments on the recent article:
http://www.ecigarette-research.com/web/index.php/2013-04-07-09-50-07/a-case-of-nicotine-poisoning-from-e-liquid

BlaineCAVR
05-31-2013, 09:10 AM
Heartbreaking story.

I knew this would happen one day, but I am still just as shocked to see it actually happen. I have always said that if and when I start having children, all my juice and hardware will be in a safe. It is not a matter of "childproof" bottles, in fact it has been proven that those measures are more for the peace of mind for the adults in the market and actually just makes it extremely difficult for people with Arthritis to get into their juice. This is a matter of personal responsibility, education and cautiousness IMHO.

Even if you keep most of your juice under lock and key, there is still going to be juice in your pockets, possibly your table, counter, dresser or even your fridge in some cases. These are facts and will always be risks that we have to accept as a reality and not a paranoid delusion.

I am willing to bet that this will be a huge detriment to our cause IF it can be proven that it is e-liquid that was the cause of death (which it will). I can already hear the misinformed media lies "Child Perishes After Drinking Sweet Poisonous E-Cigarette Juice", stating that it is the flavour and scent of the juices that will "lull" children into the deathtrap. We all know this isn't true, but non-vapers don't and organizations will distance themselves further from a product that can have all these claims made about it, regardless of if it is true or not.

I don't see good things in the near future :(

CanadianCowbell
05-31-2013, 04:50 PM
I keep my juices in a metal lunchbox and unless I am filling up my ecigs I keep the lunchbox well above any childs reach even though we don't have kids, but because I have friends with kids who come to visit because I have been scared of something like this happening. This is a horrible thing to have happened to any family and I really hope this doesn't get twisted around to become a "see we were right" banner for the anti-esmoking groups because that family deserves much better than that.

dragonfly
05-31-2013, 08:02 PM
Such an unfortunate and tragic event. While we definitely need to mind our stashes around children and toddlers (and pets), this is true of any poison. I feel awful for the family's loss.

Tebo
06-01-2013, 12:09 PM
well shit, this is horrible to hear.. I could see it happening tho.. I got some certain juices if they happen to touch my lip I can lick it up an swallow an it tastes great, some make my lip numb just from contact, some taste like the best flavor kool aids never invented

Nemesis
06-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Very tragic story , I don't even want to think how they must feel like.

- shawn

Already did that , everything vaping related is under lock and key and too high for them to reach. Better safe than sorry.

Nemesis
06-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos comments on the recent article:
http://www.ecigarette-research.com/web/index.php/2013-04-07-09-50-07/a-case-of-nicotine-poisoning-from-e-liquid

Moreover, nicotine has a bitter taste; it is highly unlikely that someone likes the taste (even when flavored).

I dunno who this Forsalinos is and what kind of doctor but is a well known fact that small children have almost no sense of taste
and that explain the ingestion of some nasty tasting stuff like cleaners and detergents and enthusiastic consumption of Gerber baby foods
(if you're a parent you know what I'm talking about..) For them apparently if it smells nice and available
is good to go.

KanadianKat
06-01-2013, 10:51 PM
When I was very young I drank one of those medicine cups of nyquil - because it was pretty and blue and we were visiting my great aunt who always had nice things to eat.

Kids just do.

It doesn't have to taste good - it just has to be drinkable or edible. Kids have been known to drink bleach very dangerous compounds. They don't taste good either.

Heart utterly breaks reading that though. Can't even imagine what the grandparents and parents are going through right now. It's too late for them to lock the eliquid away. And it wasn't worth a life. Nothing is.

If you have eliquid - it should be well out of the reach of any children - including visiting children.

BananaBrianna
06-02-2013, 04:58 AM
This is so terrible :(

randomname
06-02-2013, 06:11 AM
I've got everything in a lockable toolbox that looks like an aluminum briefcase. 3 digit combination lock on it. Plus I usually have it tucked away in the closed up office whenever people are over( we have no kids) . It serves a twofold purpose, it keeps it safe and I don't have to explain why I have so much paraphenalia. It's a terrible thing to happen but its a negligence issue not an ecig issue.

katmandu
06-02-2013, 07:19 AM
I dunno who this Forsalinos is and what kind of doctor but is a well known fact that small children have almost no sense of taste
and that explain the ingestion of some nasty tasting stuff like cleaners and detergents and enthusiastic consumption of Gerber baby foods
(if you're a parent you know what I'm talking about..) For them apparently if it smells nice and available
is good to go.

It has been proven that children have a very heightened and sensitive sense of taste even before they are born. At 2 years old they are busy developing a sense of what tastes good and bad to them. They explore their world using all of their senses - this is why they put EVERYTHING in their mouths. Nasty or good, they are going to try it out simply because they are curious and learning.

Dr. Konstantinos Farsolinas is the Greek cardiologist who recently presented the results of his study of effects of vapor and of smoke on heart function. He is a supporter of e-cigarettes and is very involved with continuing e-cigarette research.

Nemesis
06-09-2013, 08:46 PM
It has been proven that children have a very heightened and sensitive sense of taste even before they are born. At 2 years old they are busy developing a sense of what tastes good and bad to them. They explore their world using all of their senses - this is why they put EVERYTHING in their mouths. Nasty or good, they are going to try it out simply because they are curious and learning.

Dr. Konstantinos Farsolinas is the Greek cardiologist who recently presented the results of his study of effects of vapor and of smoke on heart function. He is a supporter of e-cigarettes and is very involved with continuing e-cigarette research.

I wonder if I say Canadian flag is Red would Katmandu find some studies where is proved that real Canadian flag is Blue....

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

>