PDA

View Full Version : Evolv DNA 40

KVapes
10-11-2014, 05:56 AM
Just wanted to share some news from Evolv if you haven't heard.
Evolv just announced DNA 40 chip with temperature control using non resistance wire (nickel 200) plus a slew of other features below:
- 40 watts of power (1-40watts)
- step down (1-9volts) NICE!
- reverse battery protection (about time)
- temperature protection can be turned off with non-resistance wire
- can still use resistance wire (temperature monitoring will be turned off)
- lower allowed resistances 0.16 - 2.0Ohm on a resistance wire
- release date October 14, 2014

Check out Phil's video for more: A PBusardo Video - Introducing the DNA 40 Temperature Protection Board with a Special Guest - YouTube (http://youtu.be/K8j_Za5RaTU)
Evolv DNA 40 Datasheet: http://www.evolvapor.com/datasheet/dna40.pdf

Temperature control seems like a good idea what do you guys think?

Vapowulf
10-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Temperature control seems like a good idea what do you guys think?

It sounds great, except the application will be limited to non-resistance wire, 1.0 Ohm - 0.1 Ohm.

mudferret
10-11-2014, 09:42 AM
It sounds great, except the application will be limited to non-resistance wire, 1.0 Ohm - 0.1 Ohm.

I'd be fine with that, more than enough wattage to drive that 1 ohm coil. Thinking about converting my rDNA to a DNA40, but will wait to see how it's received.

Sgt_Smut
10-12-2014, 07:10 PM
I'm all in for this board... I was going to pull the trigger on a Hana DNA30 box until I heard that Evolved was working in a new technology in their chip: Temp control.

As for the fact that the temp control will only work in non-resistance Nickel wire, the ohm range that they have it set for will be more then plenty.

Considering how quickly nickel wire can heat up, and the fact that it is nearly no resistance in the wire itself, you won't need anything more then the provided range. Besides, you'd have to have a really big coil in your atty to even hit 1ohm anyways.

Im considering pulling the trigger tomorrow on a Hana box, but I have to convince the wife to spend the $$ for it.

And it will still run regular kanthal, down to 0.16ohms, at 40watts. I have a mech for anything more then that anyways, so my next purchase will be something with this chip in it.

Griff.J
10-12-2014, 08:38 PM
I'm kinda curious about how to make coils for it.. do we stop making coils based on the resistance we like and just the amount of wraps we want? Can we still make micro coils? I emailed Phil asking if he'd post some information about it on his blog, or make a quick video..

Also, umm nickel allergies? are people going to be going to the hospital unable to breath because they didn't know they had a nickel allergy?

Also #2... Who in Canada is going to be ordering Celsius versions for us? They said the Celsius version is only available in bulk orders.

KVapes
10-13-2014, 08:44 AM
Also, umm nickel allergies? are people going to be going to the hospital unable to breath because they didn't know they had a nickel allergy?

If you look at the specs for Nickel 200 by Temco (http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/product_selection.html?p=nickel_200_guide) the melting point (when things get nasty) is somewhere 1435 - 1446C (2615 - 2635F) which is no where near the DNA40's max of 600F.

It puzzles me why Evolv couldn't just build in the switch from Fahrenheit to Celsius but then again it took them 3 years to finally include RBP lol.

The biggest improvements are RBP and step down in my opinion. Was going to pick up a DNA 30 from VaporShark but now will definitely wait.

randomname
10-13-2014, 09:31 AM
I'm kinda curious about how to make coils for it.. do we stop making coils based on the resistance we like and just the amount of wraps we want? Can we still make micro coils? I emailed Phil asking if he'd post some information about it on his blog, or make a quick video..

Also #2... Who in Canada is going to be ordering Celsius versions for us? They said the Celsius version is only available in bulk orders.

making coils to your preferred resistance is moot point with any variable wattage device. The whole point of variable wattage is so you can set your preferred wattage or vape and the unit will automatically adjust the voltage to your resistance.

As for the temp control, it's probably the biggest advance in vaping for a long time. Think of it in terms of most harmful gases are caused by the coil and wick going over a certain temp. Juice burning is also a big cause. Hence the 600 degree limit on the temp control. You can wick with cotton and never have to worry about burning it again whether it's dry or wet because with the temp control set right it will just shut it down before it starts to burn. Basically no more dry hits......which is amazing. The reason you need the nickle wire is that the resistance of nickle changes as it heats up so basically the chip isn't measuring temp it's measuring the resistance change.

drunknfoo
10-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Just finished watching Busardos video, looks promising. I hope vapor shark decides to make a (2x 18650) RDNA Variant.

But on another note, if an option to toggle between degree readings (C / F) would be sweet.

Not sure how many Canadian based box mod manufacturers exists, but hopefully the US guys will keep this into consideration when they order their chips and start their production

Sgt_Smut
10-14-2014, 07:21 AM
Just finished watching Busardos video, looks promising. I hope vapor shark decides to make a (2x 18650) RDNA Variant.

But on another note, if an option to toggle between degree readings (C / F) would be sweet.

Not sure how many Canadian based box mod manufacturers exists, but hopefully the US guys will keep this into consideration when they order their chips and start their production

I'm fairly certain that they are programming in the Celsius option because the rest of the world (for the most part) uses Celsius, not Fahrenheit, so it's not just for us Canucks.

I'm not that picky about the temp display... C/F doesn't really matter THAT much.

Switcher
10-14-2014, 07:30 AM
I can do everything metric with the exception of temperature. I never could really wrap my head around it. Celcius don't mean nothing to me. I know 20 C = 68 F, 0 = 32 and that 100 - 212, that is all .

416isToronto
10-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Seems like a couple of places have the rDNA 40 up for pre-order in Canada already, and have followed VS & reduced the price for the 30...

Jay Shaw
10-18-2014, 02:57 PM
all i need to know is where can i get one and how much?

silversmok
10-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Meh, the DNA 50 is probably 3 months from release. Temp control is cool but you gotta use that nickle wire to take advantage.

Igor_in_CH
10-19-2014, 06:51 AM
I can do everything metric with the exception of temperature. I never could really wrap my head around it. Celcius don't mean nothing to me. I know 20 C = 68 F, 0 = 32 and that 100 - 212, that is all .
Switcher yep and -30=effing cold :lol:

Ursadorable
10-19-2014, 09:12 AM
It's actually pretty easy.. I find it easier than any other metric to imperial conversion.

F->C, Subtract 32, divide by 2.
C->F, Times 2, add 32.

bcameron
10-19-2014, 10:13 AM
I put in a pre-order for the Vaporshark rDNA 40. Really looking forward to trying the temp control. Anybody knows where to get the nickel wire?

CautionFire
10-21-2014, 01:27 PM
where are preorder up for rdna 40?

bcameron
10-21-2014, 02:36 PM
where are preorder up for rdna 40?

vapemail.com

KVapes
11-15-2014, 06:10 AM
dashvapes, happyvaper and stinkycanuck also has rDNA 40 for preorder.
Preordered mine from happyvaper, can't wait : )

>