Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Welcome to the Wackedout - Ecig Canada Forum Electronic Cigarette.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Advanced Mentor Michael Vapes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    729
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    First Time Building Coil on Igo-W

    After 1 month in, I've gone to a mechanical mod with an Igo-W dripping atty (chasing the ultimate vape) I was given a lesson and watched some so so videos on building the coil. Somebody did me a favour and added 1 hole (smallish) to my atty. I'm using a 28 wire and the standard basilica wick with a single coil. I've been using my Evic to check the ohms on the coil.

    SO I'm having some problems and have some questions:

    1) Doesn't matter if I do 3 wraps, 4 or 5, I haven't been able to get it under 1.3 ohms. Often it would register 1.3 ohms for example, and when I check the rating after vaping for a couple of hours it could jump to 2.5 - 3.5. Is this normal? What am I doing wrong to not get the ohms down? I'm looking for .9 max.
    2) I can't seem to find a good video that can walk me through this type of setup. Any recommendations?
    3) I'm not getting huge vape clouds and have to pull hard to get my hit.
    4) Unfortunately I don't have a drill to make my drill hole larger. Don't want to buy 1 just for this. Any other avenues?
    5) What would be a good size hole?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. #2
    Staff Moderator ghostworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evic won't measure under 1 ohm. If you want to do sub ohm coils you'll need some sort of ohm measuring doohickey

  3. #3
    Guru The Stash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Burnaby
    Posts
    1,059
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) With 28ga, a 3 wraps around doubled 3mm silica should be getting you to around .7-.9 depending on how tight you coil. Your ohms shouldn't be jumping that much, sounds like a contact issue?

    2) The single coil setup is pretty similar to igo L builds, phoenix, etc. Dual coil it'll be Trident/Nimbus videos. It can take a bit of time to get things working but if you keep trying it'll "click"

    3) Could be from poor contact (ohms jumping up), or the extra airhole (if you're going single coil). The extra hole will add more air into the mix without passing over the coil.

    4) Not sure how to go about boring the holes out without a drill, maybe a needle file and time?

    5) I recommend 1/16 as a starting point, it'll let you direct draw but there's still a bit of resistance if that's not your thing.

  4. #4
    Advanced Mentor MrTGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Toronto/ON
    Posts
    750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use a corkscrew if there's no drill around. You may be able to get it bored out a tad larger that way. I did the corkscrew first, then went right to 1/16" bit.

    I found this method to be pretty fool proof for getting an evenly spaced coil. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVZv1Duoj8

    ~TG

  5. #5
    Advanced Mentor SykoJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Richmond Hill, On
    Posts
    736
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostworld View Post
    Evic won't measure under 1 ohm. If you want to do sub ohm coils you'll need some sort of ohm measuring doohickey
    Wow, glad I bought as vamo as this is now what I build on and it can ready any coil I throw at it (just cant fire them).

    I would have to agree with Stash. If your ohms are jumping then it could be a bad connection. I had the ohms jump on one of my builds because I didn't tighten a screw a quarter of a turn. I can't really chime in on using normal wire as I only use ribbon.

    Spent on Vaping - $3759.62

  6. #6
    Advanced Mentor Michael Vapes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    729
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stash View Post
    1) With 28ga, a 3 wraps around doubled 3mm silica should be getting you to around .7-.9 depending on how tight you coil. Your ohms shouldn't be jumping that much, sounds like a contact issue?

    2) The single coil setup is pretty similar to igo L builds, phoenix, etc. Dual coil it'll be Trident/Nimbus videos. It can take a bit of time to get things working but if you keep trying it'll "click"

    3) Could be from poor contact (ohms jumping up), or the extra airhole (if you're going single coil). The extra hole will add more air into the mix without passing over the coil.

    4) Not sure how to go about boring the holes out without a drill, maybe a needle file and time?

    5) I recommend 1/16 as a starting point, it'll let you direct draw but there's still a bit of resistance if that's not your thing.
    Thanks Stash. You say a contact issue. Do you mean where the screw meets the wire, as I tighten both screws pretty tight. Also there is no extra hole. There is only one hole now as the Igo-W didn't come with a hole.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTGun View Post
    Use a corkscrew if there's no drill around. You may be able to get it bored out a tad larger that way. I did the corkscrew first, then went right to 1/16" bit.

    I found this method to be pretty fool proof for getting an evenly spaced coil. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVZv1Duoj8

    ~TG
    Thanks. Thats a great video. Do you know where in Canada we can get the device he uses to bring the wick through the coil?

    Quote Originally Posted by SykoJoe View Post
    Wow, glad I bought as vamo as this is now what I build on and it can ready any coil I throw at it (just cant fire them).

    I would have to agree with Stash. If your ohms are jumping then it could be a bad connection. I had the ohms jump on one of my builds because I didn't tighten a screw a quarter of a turn. I can't really chime in on using normal wire as I only use ribbon.
    Ok thanks.

  7. #7
    Advanced Mentor MrTGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Toronto/ON
    Posts
    750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Thats a great video. Do you know where in Canada we can get the device he uses to bring the wick through the coil?
    Michael's is where I found mine.

    ~TG

  8. #8
    Advanced Mentor Michael Vapes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    729
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTGun View Post
    Michael's is where I found mine.

    ~TG

    Thanks. Do you know what its called?

  9. #9
    Advanced Mentor Michael Vapes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    729
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTGun View Post
    Use a corkscrew if there's no drill around. You may be able to get it bored out a tad larger that way. I did the corkscrew first, then went right to 1/16" bit.

    I found this method to be pretty fool proof for getting an evenly spaced coil. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVZv1Duoj8

    ~TG
    I went and got the tools from this video and wrapped a really great coil. The size of screw they recommend is too small for a double wrap wick. I started with a 4-40 and ended up using a 8-32. Still too small and was only usable for a wick that is folded once. I'm going to try and get a screw twice the size for a wick to be folded twice. Great technique though and I'm finally getting lots of cloud from my vape.
    Last edited by Michael Vapes; 07-11-2013 at 07:14 PM.

  10. #10
    Coach captainjack79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Montreal , Quebec
    Posts
    237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I though the W came with 2 stock holes?

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Our Partners

First Time Building Coil on Igo-WFirst Time Building Coil on Igo-WFirst Time Building Coil on Igo-WFirst Time Building Coil on Igo-WFirst Time Building Coil on Igo-WFirst Time Building Coil on Igo-WFirst Time Building Coil on Igo-WFirst Time Building Coil on Igo-WFirst Time Building Coil on Igo-WFirst Time Building Coil on Igo-WFirst Time Building Coil on Igo-WFirst Time Building Coil on Igo-WFirst Time Building Coil on Igo-WFirst Time Building Coil on Igo-WFirst Time Building Coil on Igo-WFirst Time Building Coil on Igo-WFirst Time Building Coil on Igo-W

Electronic Cigarette Directory
Chilliwack & Agassiz Dentist
Buy CBD Canada Online